Thursday, July 25, 2013

Album Review: Myth by Geographer

My Album Review of Myth (2012) by Geographer


     Electro-indie-pop is a great way to describe Geographer's sound. Relatable and poetic but also simple in lyrics, the singer's voice (Michael Deni) involves a variety of range as well as volume. His voice reminds me of Moby, Kings of Leon, or Coldplay, however it is also strangely original. Some songs involve eighties dance influence, but others almost have a 90's soft rock thing going on, while others bring an Asian/oriental feel out. 
     The cello (Nathan Blaz) mixed with the guitars and synthesizers really give it an almost classical feel, yet when you turn up the volume, it feels like a wall of sound is tumbling over you like a tsunami. Very shoegaze and trancy at times, yet also elegant and peaceful . The songs can be hypnotizing and almost violating in a way that says, 'whoa, turn that down it's taking me over. I'd recommend listening to this while you're studying or driving. Definitely different when compared to music I usually find myself listening to, but I for some reason have grown very attached to about half the songs on the album. Good ones to start yourself out on are: 'Kites', 'Blinders,' and 'Kaleidoscopes'.

No comments:

Post a Comment